Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

98 and counting...

On our previous trip to Columbia, something miraculous happened... well, I like to think of it as a miracle. Manning got to meet his great-great grandfather, "Papaw Shep." The miraculous part is that he is 98 years old (I can't get over the fact that he's 98 years older than my son...WOW!). I had never met Papaw Shep, so actually getting to meet him and see him interact with Manning was such a blessing. When I heard him speak for the first time, I burst into tears (I'm emotional...I know). His voice was just so precious. You could tell what a sweet man he was by his voice. There were pictures all over his walls from his long life, and I could tell that he is a man full of wisdom and experiences. He enjoys sewing. He sews quilts, bags, clothes, you name it! He told us how he learned to sew during World War II. He worked for a sewing company that made parachutes and uniforms for the military. Because of his job, he didn't have to enlist in the war. He has given Manning several quilts, and he sent us home with a quilt for Cody and myself, as well as some hand-made bags. These quilts became instantly priceless to me after meeting him. I'm just so very thankful that he got to meet Manning, and I that I got to meet him! He's not planning on going anywhere, any time soon... he will quickly let you know that he plans on living to be 100, and I pray that he does. Such a special person....wish there were more like him in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment