Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Jack of all trades...

Well, I was just sitting here trying to think of something to write about because I was feeling blogsy, and I decided to write about good ol' Girdley Flying Service & Girdley Brothers Farms. 

I seriously love my job... there's never a dull moment, and I'm learning ALL kinds of things.  Here are just a few of the things I do on a daily basis and a few ways this job has changed me.

I'm really starting to understand farming and appreciate it much more than I once did.  I love learning about all of the careless weeds, army worms, and different chemicals, and who knew that you had to check the moisture on rice before you cut it?  Hmm, learn something every day...

Greg (the salesman) & Polly
Ernie & Mike (dad's worker) looking at Ernie's new toy
I've also become really good at purchasing things.  I went on a wild goose chase (this happens quite often) the other day to locate the perfect new truck for Ernie (dad's brother).  He couldn't take a day off due to cutting rice, so he sent us (me and Polly) to purchase it for him.  I traveled over 200 miles for him that day and finally found the perfect truck.

I'm also getting quite strong, well strong-er... Just last week, I went to Jonesboro to Sam's to buy 17 cases (yes, 17 CASES) of Rotella T oil for the farm.  Let me tell ya...they weren't light.  I loaded all of the boxes myself and then pushed them to the register to check out.  I can't tell you how many people I almost ran over because I couldn't see over the boxes.  Not to mention, I had to squat behind the cart and use my thighs to make the thing move... and then I pushed them to my car and unloaded them all by myself.  I should've asked for help, but I was determined that I could do it.  I'm sure it was pretty funny to bystanders.  I was so proud of myself, I took a picture of my cart. 

I'm also learning about directions and about the landscape of Arkansas.  I'm terrible with highway names, which direction I'm traveling in (north, south, east, west), and when you work with men all day long, they expect you to know these things.  I've been sent to several different tiny little towns all over the state to pick up parts, air filters, oil filters, you name it.  Of course, I always take Cody's GPS, but I'm actually starting to remember some hwy names and I'm getting better with my directional skills.  Maybe, before too long, I won't be telling people to turn by the little white house to find our office. :o)  You know what I mean... I use landmarks to explain how to get places, but I'm working on it!

Hope I haven't bored you too much today!

No comments:

Post a Comment